Recent Posts

Monday, August 18, 2014

Take What You Need

In 1990, Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Don Carman came up with a creative way to deal with the trough of reporters who would continually ask the same repetitive questions.

He came up with a list of responses, which he posted on his locker. “You saw the game,” he told reporters. “Take what you need.”
  • I’m just glad to be here. I just want to help the club any way I can.
  • Baseball’s a funny game.
  • I’d rather be lucky than good.
  • We’re going to take the season one game at a time.
  • You’re only as good as your last game (last at-bat).
  • This game has really changed.
  • If we stay healthy we should be right there.
  • It takes 24 (25) players.
  • We need two more players to take us over the top: Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
  • We have a different hero every day.
  • We’ll get ‘em tomorrow.
  • This team seems ready to gel.
  • With a couple breaks, we win that game.
  • That All-Star voting is a joke.
  • The catcher and I were on the same wavelength.
  • I just went right at ‘em.
  • I did my best, and that’s all I can do.
  • You just can’t pitch behind.
  • That’s the name of the game.
  • We’ve got to have fun.
  • I didn’t have my good stuff, but I battled ‘em.
  • Give the guy some credit; he hit a good pitch.
  • Hey, we were due to catch a break or two.
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • That’s why they pay him _____ million dollars.
  • Even I could have hit that pitch.
  • I know you are, but what am I?
  • I was getting my off-speed stuff over so they couldn’t sit on the fastball.
  • I had my at ‘em ball going today.
  • I had some great plays made behind me tonight.
  • I couldn’t have done it without my teammates.
  • You saw it … write it.
  • I just wanted to go as hard as I could as long as I could.
  • I’m seeing the ball real good.
  • I hit that ball good.
  • I don’t get paid to hit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment